3.03.2010

What I Want to Talk About During Conferences

What I'm really thinking:
  • Come talk to me about the fact that your child hasn't turned on thing in the entire quarter and has a 2.9% in my class right now.
  • Come talk to me about the fact that I think your student is INCREDIBLY bright but is the laziest student I have ever met.
  • Come talk to me about your student attempting to sleep through my class and then complains that you (the parent) makes them go to church until 10 pm every single night and then do chores when they get home.
  • Come talk about the fact that your student DRIVES ME NUTS in class and I can't get them to stop talking.
  • Or, don't come talk to me because you know your student does all those things and you don't need to hear it to believe it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Come talk to me about the fact that your student doesn't know how to speak English but yet they come to class every day and at least appear to be interested in what I'm teaching.
  • Come talk to me about the fact that I KNOW your student can achieve if we work together to find the best strategies.
  • Come talk about the fact that your student amazes me because he moved from the English Language Learner class to the "honors" class in one year and has the highest grade in the highest class.
  • Come talk about the fact that your student never ceases to amaze me with the awesome questions they ask which challenges me every single day.
  • Come talk to me about the leader I already see in your student and I can't wait to see who and what they lead.
  • Come talk to me about the fact that I am SURE your student is already WAY smarter than I am and I can't wait to see what incredible things they do with their life.
  • Come talk to me about high school, scholarships, and various colleges that I know your student can attend if YOU just believe in them the way their teachers do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Don't come and talk to me if you are going to suggest that your student isn't smart enough - every student can achieve.
  • Don't come and talk to me if you are going to complain that the only reason your student has a bad grade is because they are not getting taught - everyone needs to take some personal responsibility some times.
  • Don't come and talk to me if you are going to put up road blocks for your student as they progress throughout their education - they should all have the opportunity to succeed.
  • Don't come and talk to me if you do not EXPECT your student to graduate high school and go to college - THEY CAN.
  • Don't come and talk to me if your mind is closed to education - education can free your mind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Come talk to me if you think these things but are willing to change your mind.
  • Come talk to me if you have heard these things but you think they are untrue.
  • Come talk to me if you want to make a difference in your child's life like I do.
  • Come talk to me and we can figure out what to do.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. I feel I should post this for other teachers...if we did conferences. I'll post it in my office for me, instead! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so smart and well spoken! Nicely put!

    ReplyDelete