2.16.2010

Thank you to our Presidents...

... for giving us that nice long weekend!

I had quite an eventful weekend. First, I would like to note that I LOVE the Olympics. Whether confused why a certain skater chose a certain type of music and skated in that certain way, or marveling over the knee strength of the mogul skiers, or fascinated at the pass the U.S. snowboarder made to the Canadian in the Snowboard Cross... the once every four year event is absolutely divine, just like the American figure skater I am watching right now.

So to celebrate my love of the Olympics, I donned my apartment with Olympic rings and brought in the party. The party was quite fun!

It was a "dress as your favorite country" Party. Since the United States was a bit cliche and Botswana did not have any participants in the Winter Olympics (big shocker there - its like a billion degrees in the country year 'round), I decided to dress as Norway. This picture properly depicts my outfit which consisted of shorts painted like the Norwegian Flag, a shirt painted as the Norwegian Flag, and a Viking helmet painted also like a Norwegian Flag. The Norwegian Flag can be seen here with Sabina, a teammate of mine (dressed as Italy).

This was truly an olympic event.

Then, Saturday consisted of the Skirt Chaser 5K in Tempe! This consisted of a few of us donning a running skirt, which I am not sure I will ever wear again (despite how comfortable it was to run in), and jogging a 5K. I say jogging because it truly was a jog. I finished in a little over 30 minutes. Then, we spent the rest of the afternoon listening to a rockin' band play some classic music and drinking free beer (free because they gave us drink tickets with our registration... this was my kind of race). I wish I had pictures, but Jackie did the picture taking at this event (to be added later). Later Saturday I saw Valentines Day, the movie, which I enjoyed and maybe even shed a tear during an ending scene. Cute, not what you would expect at all times, but very cute.

Sunday consisted of a soccer game at 10, which we won! Giving ESPY a gift from Mom and Dad...

Then, a little basketball at the park was in order. Sat in the sun when we got tired. Then, after that, a little sunset Horseback ride topped of an awesome Sunday!


Monday, because of the great weather, consisted of sitting in the sun, reading in the sun, sleeping in the sun... and then going to do Bikram Yoga. Hooked but exhausted. My GROUPON proved me well and provided me with $15 for a Unlimited Month of Bikram! AMAZING.

I just went to class and came home, bought 6 bottles of wine from Safeway to get me through until Spring Break! So, get ready for a wine blog in the next two days. The wine will feature a shoutout to my awesome Cuz who I spoke to on Sunday! Love you!

I have also decided to start writing a book so here is a little excerpt from the first chapter I'm jotting down! Tell me if you liked it... but hold your thoughts to yourself if you're not a big fan :)

Exceprt: Botswana Diamond

“What would you like to drink Miss?” said the waiter in perfect English. I wanted to stop and tell him that I was a “local” and did not need to speak to me in English, but I figured if I looked like a tourist and was now acting like a tourist… why deny the role? I was spending the MOST money I had since I arrived in Botswana on this one outing, well other than the semi-illegal trip to Zimbabwe. I figured I might as well live it up.

“What do you recommend?” I somewhat flirtatiously said back hoping that if he liked me the first drink might be free… boy was I wrong.

“The Botswana Diamond. It is the best drink in Kasane.” Now this didn’t seem to be a outlandish statement since all I had really drank in Botswana had been traditional beer that tasted like vomit that had been sitting in the sun for 3 days and the local KLB beer (much like the American favorite Bud Light). Actually, while on the topic of KLB beer, I do want to note my affinity for it (and Bud Light too actually). Plus, when a beer company uses your initials to promote their company, you can’t help but support them.

---------------------------------------------------

HAPPY TUESDAY!





2 comments:

  1. Great weekend, indeed for you! Fun read!
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome weekend!!! Love the book excerpt....

    ReplyDelete